Offered by the SGV-CAMFT CHAPTER
and presented by:
BARBARA C. GRISWOLD, LMFT
Saturday March 24, 2018
8:30 am - 1:30 pm
8:30 AM - 9:00 AM: Networking and Chapter Business
9:00 AM - 1:30 PM: Feature Presentation from
PLEASE JOIN US!
This presentation is like two workshops in one!
- The first two hours will be an overview of how to work with insurance, including recent changes in the insurance world that could affect your practice, even if you never join an insurance plan. We will discuss the pros and cons of joining plans, and what out of network providers should know (hint: did you know if a client submits your invoice to their plan, your treatment and records could be reviewed?) We'll discuss how to keep new clients even when you aren't on their plan, how to join "full" plans, 13 essential questions to ask when checking coverage, tips for avoiding costly denials, and the secret to getting more treatment approved and surviving treatment reviews.
- The final two hours will look at what should be in your client charts --- but probably isn’t. While you may shiver at the idea of an insurance plan, ethics committee, or licensing board reviewing a client's chart, this is happening more frequently, even to therapists who don't work with insurance. Well-written records can be your best defense, and can assist your clients in getting needed approval for needed treatment or. You’ll get lots of tips and sample progress notes, and learn what insurance plans require in progress notes.”
1. Describe the different types of insurance, and summarize provider choices regarding involvement related to the pros and cons of joining.
2. Explain how to ethically bill for couples and family counseling.
3. Observe how to handle all aspects of a client's insurance as illustrated in a case example.
4. Identify the most common provider mistakes that leads to treatment denials and claim denials.
5. Identify three ways to treat a client, even if you are not a member of their insurance plan.
6. Identify what should be in your client charts — but probably isn’t.
Register today for the opportunity to also:
- Share your experience and learn new information with like-minded professionals.
- Create new relationships.
- Network with your colleagues.
- Hear about the latest SGV-Chapter and other mental health community news.
- Learn about various opportunities to grow and manage your practice.
EARN 4.0 CEUs
About the Speaker
Barbara Griswold has over 26 years of experience providing brief cognitive-behavioral counseling and longer-term psychotherapy, including 24 years as an EAP and managed care program provider for over 20 insurance networks.
Author of Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist's Complete Guide to Working with Insurance – And Whether You Should, 6th edition (www.theinsurancemaze.com) and e-news “What Every Therapist Should Know About Insurance.”
Barbara has presented over 50 trainings for therapists on the topic of working with insurance, including CE classes at Santa Clara and JFK Universities, Gerry Grossman Seminars, NASW, and California Assn. of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT). She possesses an-depth understanding of managed care plan expectations, including symptom-reduction focus, medical necessity criteria, HIPAA, as well as the coordination of care with plan care managers and other treating professionals. Her clinical specialties include treatment of alcohol/substance abuse and codependency high conflict couples anger management anxiety management gay and lesbian issues.
Barbara has extensive training in goal-setting aimed at symptom-reduction, focused behavioral treatment planning, and relapse-prevention planning, including in-depth knowledge of 12-Step programs and community resources. She has presented mandatory Sexual Harassment and Substance Abuse Trainings at employer sites, employee wellness workshops on Stress Management and Anger Management, and EAP orientations. Finally, she has served on the Board of Directors and Ethics Committee, California Assn. of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT), as well as a Past MFT Orals Examiner, California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS).
For Chapter information and other events, please visit:
Thank you to our event sponsors,
CHOICES and Advekit
Choices Counseling & Skills Center
37 Auburn Ave Suite 1 Sierra Madre CA 91024
www.choice.care firstname.lastname@example.org 626.470.9834
Try a New Way to Attract Clients!
Exclusive to Los Angeles, Advekit is a modern approach to matching clients with therapists best suited their needs. A client fills out a couple of questions, and voila! An algorithm matches clients with 3 referrals of therapists who match their inputted preferences. From there, the client can choose to message the therapist through the Advekit platform or call the therapist directly.
Advekit is an alternative to the directory listing marketing model that perpetuates the issue of therapist over-saturation. When displayed to clients on Advekit, a therapist is shown alongside only two other colleagues, increasing the likelihood of that therapist receiving a lead.
Advekit has had tremendous success in its first 8 months of operation, with 85% of their therapist database receiving a quality reach out within the first 2 months of joining.
Feel free to check out the Advekit platform and start your trial today!
Access for Disabled Persons
The Banquet Room at the Monrovian Restaurant is ADA compliant. Although it is upstairs, there is elevator access. Persons needing special accommodations are asked to contact Rudy Hayek for information.
SGV-CAMFT EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY
Registration is not complete until full payment has been received. Full payment of the registration guarantees you a seat/place at the event. Partial or incomplete payment does not guarantee you a seat/place unless it is paid for in full within 24 hours in advance of the scheduled event.
- Forty-eight hours prior to the event: 100% refund
- Twenty-four hours prior to the event: 50% refund
- Day of event or no-show: 0% refund
*if you have a medical, personal, family emergency, or other extenuating circumstances that prevent you from attending, and you have already registered (partially or fully), you may either request a refund, or apply your payment/deposit toward the next event.
You may initiate your cancellation request, or to make a refund or credit request, by sending an email to the San Gabriel Valley CAMFT Secretary: email@example.com
You must send in your request no later than five days within the end of the event.
You will receive your credit or refund within fourteen business days following the approval of your request.
Note that circumstances beyond the control of the event organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations, or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. Therefore, SGV-CAMFT reserves the right to alter or modify the advertised speaker and/or topics if necessary. Any changes will be updated on the SGV-CAMFT website, and every effort will be made to notify you via email of any changes so that you may have the option to cancel or transfer your registration fee.