San Gabriel Valley CAMFT
2019 Law & Ethics Workshop
“Tough Calls, Moral Dilemmas,
Technology, and More”
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD
California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #42723
Friday, September 20, 2019
8:30 am - 4:00 pm
EARN 6.0 CEUs
Registration fee includes:
CEU certificate, light continental breakfast, and lunch.
PLEASE JOIN US!
Focus of this Workshop
During this Law & Ethics workshop, we will review recent changes to California state law, assess the role of technology and the emerging field of Tele-health in modern practice, and discuss the morals and values that underlie individual ethical decision-making processes. Difficult decisions do not always have clear or easy answers. Through the use of case examples, this presentation will show how our individual morals and values influence therapy work, despite our best attempts to appear neutral.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the impacts of at least three recent changes in California law impacting mental health practice.
- Differentiate between a personal opinion, a clinical opinion, advice-giving, and imposing personal values.
- Identify at least four requirements for California telehealth providers of psychotherapy.
- Identify three common frameworks for making value-based decisions.
EARN 6.0 CEUs
About the Speaker
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is an Adjunct Professor for California State University Northridge in Los Angeles and The Wright Institute in Berkeley. He has previously served for 11 years as core faculty in the Couple and Family Therapy Graduate Programs at Alliant International University in Los Angeles. He also maintains a practice as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, specializing in working with couples.
Dr. Caldwell is the Education Director for SimplePractice Learning and Adjunct Professor at California State University Northridge. He is the author of several books, including Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, and Saving Psychotherapy. He spent 10 years as Chair of the Legislative and Advocacy Committee for AAMFT-California, and served a three-year term on the AAMFT Ethics Committee.
Registration is available online, only.
There will be no on-site registration for this event
because we are limiting attendance.
Payment MUST be made at the time of registration.
For Chapter information and other events, please visit:
Meeting and Presentation Schedule
8:00 Check-in and Networking, Continental Breakfast
8:30 Chapter Announcements
8:45 Workshop begins
12:00 Lunch Buffet served
12:45 Workshop resumes
4:00 Workshop end
- Please arrive no later than 8 am so that you have an opportunity to network, help yourself to breakfast, and find a seat.
- Breaks will be given at the discretion of the presenter.
- CEU Certificates will be available and distributed upon the completion of the presentation. You must attend the full workshop to receive your certificate.
- Course meets the qualifications for 6.0 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- San Gabriel Valley Chapter of CAMFT (Provider # 60957) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs.
- San Gabriel Valley CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
Access for Disabled Persons
The Women's City Club of Pasadena is ADA compliant, and the meeting and dining hall where the presentation will be held has a ramp leading to the entrance. Persons needing special accommodations are asked to contact Rudy Hayek for information.
SGV-CAMFT Event Cancellation Policy
Registration is not complete until full payment has been received. Full payment of the registration guarantees you a seat/place at the event. Partial or incomplete payment does not guarantee you a seat/place unless it is paid for in full within 24 hours in advance of the scheduled event.
- Forty-eight hours prior to the event: 100% refund
- Twenty-four hours prior to the event: 50% refund
- Day of event or no-show: 0% refund
*if you have a medical, personal, family emergency, or other extenuating circumstances that prevent you from attending, and you have already registered (partially or fully), you may either request a refund, or apply your payment/deposit toward the next event.
You may initiate your cancellation request, or make a refund or credit request, by sending an email to email@example.com.
You must send in your request no later than five days within the end of the event.
You will receive your credit or refund within fourteen business days following the approval of your request.
Note that circumstances beyond the control of the event organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations, or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. Therefore, SGV-CAMFT reserves the right to alter or modify the advertised speaker and/or topics if necessary. Any changes will be updated on the SGV-CAMFT website, and every effort will be made to notify you via email of any changes so that you may have the option to cancel or transfer your registration fee.
Trusted by over 40,000 customers, SimplePractice creates software and services for health and wellness professionals. Its EHR empowers practices to run their businesses more efficiently, streamlining administrative tasks, enabling regulatory compliance, and improving documentation. As the most innovative practice management software available, SimplePractice offers features like paperless intakes, automated billing, free unlimited clients, and more. SimplePractice is a HIPAA compliant, fully integrated platform that consistently ranks as the “#1 Most Popular Mental Health Software” on Capterra, and has collected over $2.8 billion in revenue for its customers. https://ter.li/sgvcamft