Chapter Meeting and Presentation
Lunch and Networking
"Narcissist: The Skilled Abuser"
Catherine Barrett, PsyD
Clinical Forensic Psychologist (PSY28102)
11:00 am-1:30 pm Friday November 15, 2019
160 N. Oakland, Pasadena, CA 91101
(Women's City Club of Pasadena)
1.5 Hours CEUs
(registration closes 11-12-19)
Registration Fee Includes Luncheon Buffet
Dr. Barrett’s aim is to help clinicians see outside of the textbook definition of the Narcissistic Personality Disorder and present a more practical, experiential, and accurate portrayal of this pathology within families and couples to help clinicians identify how NPD presents within the family system as well as intimate relationships.
Her research and experience will also help clinicians identify survivors of this abuse within their practice and assist them in understanding the root of their client’s addiction to such relationships. Additionally, Dr. Barrett will touch on the effects of growing up with a narcissistic parent and how to manage expectations should they remain in contact with loved ones who have the disorder. The ultimate goal is to provide information so that practitioners are vigilant in identifying clients with complex post traumatic stress due to a relationship with a narcissistic personality, thereby putting the diagnosis into context, which in turn improves their client’s self-empowerment and ability to heal.
- Identify 6 traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Describe 4 phases of the cycle of abuse
- Discuss 2 ways to identify victims/survivors of Narcissistic Abuse
- Identify 3 Interventions for treating Victims of abuse
- List 4 ways a narcissistic parent can directly influence a child negatively to assist clinicians in identifying what could be underlying issues in their adult and underage clients.
• Earn 1.5 CEUs •
About Catherine Barrett
Catherine Barrett is a licensed Clinical Forensic Psychologist who has been practicing as a psychotherapist for 10 years. Dr. Barrett has a dual focus, working both in family practice and forensic psychology. She graduated from the University of Southern California in 2009 with a Masters degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. In 2014, Dr. Barrett received her Doctorate in Clinical Forensic Psychology from Alliant International University- California School of Forensic Studies. Her pre and post-doctoral work was in the evaluation, assessment, and treatment of mentally disordered offenders, individuals found not guilty by reason of insanity, sex offenders, and sexually violent predators. It was here where Dr. Barrett first gained her experience working with severe personality disorder specifically Narcissistic and Antisocial personality. Dr. Barrett’s family practice is with Teen Therapy Center in Woodland Hills. Her practice includes high-risk adolescents, LGBT youth, and family discord. Dr. Barrett also performs psychological testing and facilitates a group for LGBT teens. She has experience working in addiction recovery and with drug and alcohol related offenders. Dr. Barrett has been an adjunct faculty professor for the Rossier School of Education at the University of Southern California since 2016.
Registration is available online, only.
Payment MUST be made at the time of registration.
For Chapter information and other events, please visit:
Meeting and Presentation Schedule
11:00 – 11:30 am: Check-in and Networking
11:30 – 11:50 am: Chapter Business and Announcements
11:50 – 1:30 pm: Feature Presentation
- Luncheon buffet will be available from 11:15 am to 12:15 pm
- Breaks will be given at the discretion of the presenter
- CEU Certificates will be available and distributed upon the completion of the presentation
- Course meets the qualifications for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
- San Gabriel Valley Chapter of CAMFT (Provider # 60957) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs.
- San Gabriel Valley CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.”
Access for Disabled Persons
The Women's City Club of Pasadena is ADA compliant, and the meeting and dining hall where the presentation will be held has a ramp leading to the entrance.
SGV-CAMFT Event Cancellation Policy
Registration is not complete until full payment has been received. Full payment of the registration guarantees you a seat/place at the event. Partial or incomplete payment does not guarantee you a seat/place unless it is paid for in full within 24 hours in advance of the scheduled event.
- Forty-eight hours prior to the event: 100% refund
- Twenty-four hours prior to the event: 50% refund
- Day of event or no-show: 0% refund
*if you have a medical, personal, family emergency, or other extenuating circumstances that prevent you from attending, and you have already registered (partially or fully), you may either request a refund, or apply your payment/deposit toward the next event.
You may initiate your cancellation request, or make a refund or credit request, by sending an email to email@example.com.
You must send in your request no later than five days within the end of the event.
You will receive your credit or refund within fourteen business days following the approval of your request.
Note that circumstances beyond the control of the event organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations, or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. Therefore, SGV-CAMFT reserves the right to alter or modify the advertised speaker and/or topics if necessary. Any changes will be updated on the SGV-CAMFT website, and every effort will be made to notify you via email of any changes so that you may have the option to cancel or transfer your registration fee.